Tuesday 16 June 2015

Summer Placement 2015 Week 2

This week I've finally got involved with some whole class teaching. On Thursday my placement partner and myself took a computing lesson. The aim of the lesson was to learn some basic programming skills with the help from a new piece of tech called "Pop Kits". Pop Kits look similar on the iPad to Scratch but instead of programming a game to program physical components like making a light with a switch. The lesson went fairly well with the children meeting the objective which was for them to create a code to make a door bell. However, at times I found it difficult to bring the class back together when I wanted them to give feedback and because the school only had 4 of  the "Pop Kits" some children said they didn't get much of a go.

The day after I repeated this lesson on my own with the 7 children who missed the lesson the day before. This went much better as it was easier to get their attention and they had enough Pop Kits around so everyone got a go.

I've learnt that I need to practice getting a classes attention faster and the it is important to have enough of a resource to go around (although this wasn't my fault in this case!)

No comments:

Post a Comment